Inexpensive Gear to Get You Through Winter


Running Through the Slop
It's really hard to get motivated to run when the weather is gross. I continued on my running journey in mid-November - a miserable time of year in the north eastern part of the United States.  The beginning and end of winter here  reminds me of a teenager trying to find themselves.  November isn't sure if it's winter or fall.  March doesn't know if it's January or June.  Rain, sleet, snow, and wind mixed in with the occasional 60 degree teaser day.

Bundling up in some cotton sweatpants and a sweatshirt will keep you warm...until you start to sweat...and that sweat starts to freeze. There is plenty of cold weather breathable gear out there available from the big brands but it can come at a big price.  I researched and put together some relatively inexpensive gear that I can mix and match according to the temperature and precipitation. Here's what I came up with. 

Keeping Head, Hands, and Arms Warm
I hate a cold head, I hate cold hands, I hate cold hands.  

Tough Headwear Beanie

This Tough Headwear beanie was a present from my wife.  I was running in a knit hat that wasn't thermal and got soaked as I sweat.  This beanie is actually made to wear under a helmet while snowboarding, but it's lightweight, snug, warm and works perfectly as a running hat. 
TrailHeads Running Gloves

I actually spent a little more than I was planning on my gloves, but I really wanted something that was thermal, lightweight, made from moisture wicking material, and that allowed me to use my phone. These TrailHeads Men's Running Gloves fit that bill AND they have a bonus built in pad on each thumb to dab at your cold runny nose.  
Amazon Essentials Long Sleeve Tech Shirt

With the long sleeves on the Amazon Essentials long sleeve tech shirts I never really found myself too cold on November and December runs in Virginia and South Carolina, however 35-40 degrees with a wind did find me wanting another layer.
Amazon Essentials Full Zip Hoodie

This Amazon Essentials Performance Full Zip Hoodie is by no means a fancy water resistant moisture wicking jacket with built in ventilation. It's also not $100 or more.  It's a quarter of that price.  What it does well is hug the body with a nice athletic fit.  It is lightweight.  It comes with fairly deep pockets (great for stashing gloves or a hat when it gets too hot), and it is full zip which makes dumping heat very easy during a run.  Unzip it halfway until you release some of that well earned heat and then zip it back up.   

Comments